A little guidance with This programming style

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

dfullmer

A little guidance with This programming style

Post by dfullmer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Hello All,

Can someone give me some advice or a pointer to a good book for this type of programming language? I have been programming using Basic for years but this structure is new to me.

Thanks for the help.

dfullmer

dfullmer

nobody?

Post by dfullmer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Nothing?

Anything?

wow.... :?

Doj

Post by Doj » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:06 pm

I have never seen a book on this language, it is very similar to Visual Basic and there are some similarities to C constructs and I think there are elements of PASCAL in the scope used.

Really the best way of getting going is to take a bit of sample code and mess with it. the wiki button up above takes you to a large resource of information and you can ask here with help on specifics.
The search on the forum will obviously get loads of help if you have a known question.

The compiler it's self is very open source so all the libraries code is fully viewable and commented which makes them a great place to get ideas.

The help file is also a good guide to see what to do. basically pick a subject and have a go would be a reasonable to start.

dfullmer

Post by dfullmer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 pm

First - Thanks for the response. I agree with and appreciate your post. I have come to the conclusion I will just have to slog my way through this like every other programming I have ever done. Just as you have said " take a piece of sample code and mess with it". The Language file that comes with the compiler is not bad but I was hoping for a more common language explanation of why things are done the way they are, instead of the "I know this language like the back of my hand and here is how it works" type of explanation. No knock on the compiler - I actually like it so far. It’s just that I am a hack... I make no claim of being a programmer and never will. It is a necessary evil for me to know how to do some of this stuff.

Again - thanks for the input and best of luck

Regards
dfullmer

Doj

Post by Doj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Ok df, everyone to their own!
I find SF very good for me, I have used it almost every day for the last 2 1/2 years now and can find little to complain about.
It is most definitely up to the individual to put the effort in, no free ride here.
Enjoy.