Help regarding "FILE TRANSFER USING RS-232 in VB.NET&qu

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Shehryar

Help regarding "FILE TRANSFER USING RS-232 in VB.NET&qu

Post by Shehryar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:04 am

Hey all:
Em a newbie in VB.net. Could ne1 plz help me in transferring files between two PCs using Rs-232 serial communication. Em new to VB.net plz tell me how 2 get started.

Thanks

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 am

Shehryar

Post by Shehryar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks.. but this is not em looking for.. i need file transferring.. please ne1 could help me with the code???

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Shehryar wrote:Thanks.. but this is not em looking for.. i need file transferring.. please ne1 could help me with the code???
You need to learn to stand before you learn to run.

Have you written the basic communication routines between the two machines? Are they connected and talking? From that point on sending files should be pretty simple.

Google .net null modem

http://www.google.com/search?q=.net+null+modem

Lots of examples on a time proven method of sending data on the serial port between computers.

Shehryar

Post by Shehryar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 pm

Yup i wrote a v simple code in VB.net n connected two pcs through serial cable (RS-232) on com port. I sends n recvs quite well. But em not getting ne logic hw to send file.. as in.. we should i do nxt?

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Are you paying for your internet bandwidth by the byte ? people would understand what your looking for more easily if you used a better explaination of your goal and USE FULL WORDS. No 1 will wnt 2 ansr U if U txt stuff , they will think your some 10 year old script kiddy or simply an idiot.
If you can read this you are too close

Shehryar

Post by Shehryar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

K.. sorry.. look actually i need to develop a program in VB.net that:
1. connects 2 PCs through RS-232
2. e.g system A and system B. Now i want that i send a file (any type e.g text, sound etc) from system A and it is transferred to system B through that serial port and stored in a specific location i want.
I hope my question is understandable now..
thanks.

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Ok thats better , can't stand script kid talk ,, does my nut in.

You do know this forum is for SwordFish basic compiler for PIC MICROCONTROLLERS and not anything to do with Visual Basic.

SF runs on little chips not PC's but that aside the approach is the same.

You want to be looking at a file transfer protocol component.

For serial rs232 coms between 2 pc's you need a null modem lead.

Then you want to be using a protocol like Xmodem for which there are VB components out there
http://www.commstudio.com/commstudio/protocols/xmodem

Why do you want to transfer files between PC's via a serial lead anyway ?

If the PC's are networked then TCP/IP would be way way faster. If they both have a NIC (network interface card) then you can run a RJ45 crossover lead straight between them ,, if the NIC's are newer then even a patch lead will do (card wire auto detect on most newer NIC's).
your average null modem lead you'll be luck to get 250400 baud network lead you'll get up-to a gigabit on most new machines 10megabit minimum on old crap even the slowest Ethernet connection will be faster than rs232
If you can read this you are too close