Can't find the Swordfish tool suite within MPLAB IDE.

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Firetramp

Can't find the Swordfish tool suite within MPLAB IDE.

Post by Firetramp » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:00 pm

As the title says. I followed all the instructions. Anyone know if it should work with Windows 7 64-bit (though I can't see there being a problem). Also MPLAB 8.56.

Thanks.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am

I can't speak to the Win7 part, but if you do a little searching here I think you'll find that results have been mixed as far as getting SF to run under MPLAB. It's been a while, but I seem to remember having issues with swordfish and its search paths being able to find the lib and include files, at least on my setup.

I finally got it to work by making copies of various directories, but in the end I decided it just wasn't worth the bother. Also, I found that I was actually better off using the swordfish IDE anyway, at least for compiling. It just worked "better" than the MPLAB integration.

You can always tell SF to generate a coff file (View | Compile and Program Options... | | Generate debugger *.cof file) and import that into MPLAB for source level debugging with any of the hardware debuggers or MPLAB SIM. That end of it works pretty well. It's a few extra steps, but you get used to it pretty quick.