Licence question

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Francis

Licence question

Post by Francis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:10 pm

First things first: this is not a complaint just a query.

I've been using SF on and off for years.
Quite often I do a bit of project at home and then, because work is so boring, I take my notebook in to work and do some dabbling during my 3 hour coffee break.

This means I have installed SF on my home PC and my notebook.
I'm the only user of my copy of SF and I have one dongle.
Bought and paid for and registered legally and properly.

Just recently I noticed the need for a password to do online udates.
I did it OK for my desktop but the system refused to do my notebook stating that , in effect, only one PC can be updated.

Three questions;
1. In all this time of having SF on desktop and notebook, have I been naughty in so far as my licence is concerned. After all, there is only one user i.e. ME. And I have my dongle in my hand.
2. What happens if my desktop explodes and I buy a new desktop. Will the SF online updater refuse it? If so that's not clever.
3. I am the sole user of my SF and I have a legal dongle. Can't I install and UPDATE SF from wherever I feel like it? (As long as I'm the sole user of course).

Of course I understand the reasoning for all this but I feel a little confused and frustrated as to how it's being instigated.
I can't find a copy of the Licence conditions or T&Cs anywhere on the site.

W4GNS

Re: Licence question

Post by W4GNS » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:39 pm

I looked for the agreement a week or so ago and gave up, I think maybe it could be a little more obvious

[quote="Francis"
I can't find a copy of the Licence conditions or T&Cs anywhere on the site.[/quote]
Gary W4GNS

RKP

Post by RKP » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Francis,

To answer question number one. No you were not naughty, and you were allowed to use SF on any machine as long as you had the license dongle.
Number 2, I can't speak for David but if you PM him about your machine he may be accommodating

Also once you have updated to the lastest versions (since David has come back) the dongle is no longer needed to lauch SF.

Just PM and ask directly, David has always been helpful.

RKP

gramo

Post by gramo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 am

It's easy to overlook the Swordfish licensing - It is clearly labelled "Single License" or "Dual License" depending on the product you purchased. The recent security updates look to have addressed licensing as well.

Should be anyhow, there's always the chance you may have brought it second-hand or a distributor with poor labelling.
digital-diy.com - Hobby microcontroller projects and tutorials. Assembly, PICBasic and C examples.

Australian distributor for the Swordfish Compiler

Francis

Post by Francis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Umm... no... I bought it a coupla years back ; new, fresh,virginal and direct from The Man :D

Could someone point me to the Licence text please.
Or, more appropriately, the licence text when I bought it....

Again a little confusing "Single License" - Single User or Single PC ??

If single PC then , again, what happens if my PC explodes and I have to buy a new one - surely I'm not expected to buy a new SF licence? That would be a little silly. I can't believe that would be the case.

I think I'll PM David as suggested.
Especially as I have seen many occasions on this Foprum where people have mentioned using SF at home and on their notebooks/work machines. No-one tut-tutted. :lol:

Francis

Post by Francis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:02 pm

I have been in touch with David. And he has quickly sorted my liitle problem.

Many thanks.