Error[154] on END

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

benzeeland

Error[154] on END

Post by benzeeland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Today I have installed SF-fe. When I try to compile an example (i.e. BLINK1) I get 3 errors, all referring to the END directive in the ASM file. The middle is: Each object file section must be contiguous.
I use WINXP SP3. Installation in the default map.
In this way it is impossible to use SF.

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Have you updated to the latest version?
If not, do you have your dongle in?
Is your MPASM the latest version?

Have you changed any text in the examples?
I've gotten some pretty odd errors at times from having a stray / or \ in the wrong location...

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.
Surviving Member
Bermuda Triangle Battalion
from 2026 to 1992

Voted "Most likely to time travel"--Class of 2024.

benzeeland

Post by benzeeland » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Senacharim wrote:Have you updated to the latest version?
I have downloaded SF yesterday.
If not, do you have your dongle in?
It is the Free Edition.
Is your MPASM the latest version?
v8.8, but I ran SF separately from MPlab.
Have you changed any text in the examples?
No.

2brain

Post by 2brain » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 pm

I had never tried the 2 sample blinks before but I had an ASM error but different from yours when I did. By changing the device to 18F4520 I was able to compile but I didn't try running it. So its nothing to do with XP.

benzeeland

Post by benzeeland » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:13 pm

2brain wrote:I had never tried the 2 sample blinks before but I had an ASM error but different from yours when I did. By changing the device to 18F4520 I was able to compile but I didn't try running it. So its nothing to do with XP.
- Changing the device makes no difference in my case
- Why would a different error be of significance to me?
- That your problem has been solved does not prove that in my case XP is not relevant.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I would try and install the product again. I have never seen this problem before, it may be a damaged file. If the problem persists you need to email me all of the files generated by the compilation process (*.asm etc)

benzeeland

Post by benzeeland » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

I have uninstalled SF, cleaned up the register, downloaded again the SF-fe installation file and installed SF in the default directory. Result: still the same error. I send you the files.

benzeeland

Post by benzeeland » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:14 pm

After some discussion with David Barker and extensive websurfing I conclude that it is the combination of my computer and the latest MPASWIN.EXE that causes the problem. I have no solution, neither has SF, neither has Microchip.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Just so we know what to avoid, what version of Windows and MPASMWIN.EXE are you using?

You can run mpasmwin.exe from a command-prompt to find out.

benzeeland

Post by benzeeland » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Jerry Messina wrote:Just so we know what to avoid, what version of Windows and MPASMWIN.EXE are you using? .
I use WINXP-SP3 and MPAS 5.43. The problem is that older versions of MPASMWIN ( ie 5.2) do not recognise the latest devices and show config errors.
A remarkable difference is that the older MPASMWIN.EXE file has a length of 7.5MB and the new one 943kB.
On the Microchip forum I have detected that the same problem can exist when using WIN7. There is no clear relationship with the operating system.
(NB When compiling ASM-files in the MPLAB IDE environment the output file always mentions MPASMWIN 5.43 as version even when using v5.2).

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 am

I use WINXP-SP3 and MPAS 5.43
So do I.

When you install Swordfish SE, you should get a copy of MPASM 5.42 installed into the SwordfishSE/bin directory. That should fine for pretty much every chip since there's really very little difference between 5.42 and 5.43.

If you have a more recent copy of MPLAB installed, you can rename SwordfishSE/bin/MPASMWin.exe so that SF can't find it and SF will use MPLAB's copy.

I'm not sure where you're getting MPASM 5.20, but that's pretty ancient and some of those old versions have issues. If the LST file produced when you assemble says 5.43, then that's what you're using.

There was a big change made in MPASM 5.39, which is when the file got split into an exe, dll, and an info file and MPASM got MUCH better.

benzeeland

Post by benzeeland » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Thank you Jerry.
I tested the different MPASMWIN's the way you describe.