Chances of Microchip releasing a 14 pin PIC18

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

blackcattech

Chances of Microchip releasing a 14 pin PIC18

Post by blackcattech » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 am

It seems a little odd to me that Microchip have never released a 14 pin version of the PIC18. Is this likely to be addressed in future, or is there some fundamental reason (physical size of the core etc) that stop them doing so?

I've got a couple of applications where 14 pins would be more than enough but one I'm working on currently only a 14 pin SOIC will fit so I'm stuck with using the PIC16 series. The problem is package width - even a 20 SSOP is too wide to fit in the available space. (Not to mention being a bit of a pain to hand solder, possible but more difficult then SOICs)

Also, not really relevant to this forum I guess, but does anyone know of a good, free programming language for the PIC16? I've been using the CC5X compiler for many years but our update license is well out of date so we can't get the most recent versions and to be honest, it has so many bugs and limitations that I'm getting tired of working around them. I know Microchip themselves have just launched a C compiler but I don't really like programming in C - while CC5X is notionally a C compiler, it is such a simple implementation that it is quite easy to use.

Is there ever any chance of Swordfish being ported to the extended mid-range architecture or is it still to limited compared to the PIC18 that a port would be too difficult to make work well?

RangerBob

Post by RangerBob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 am

No idea if its any help but there are 3 available 24F series with 14 pins in TSSOP package available (PIC24F04KA200, PIC24F04KL100 & PIC24F08KL200).

Very odd that they have not released any 18X series with less than 18 pins when they have a PIC24 core jammed in a smaller areas!

blackcattech

Post by blackcattech » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:31 am

Not a lot of help unfortunately, at least until Swordfish gets ported to the PIC24 core!

As you say, they seem more than happy to support smaller pin counts in other series which is what leads me to wonder if the PIC18 core is too big for these smaller packages...

RangerBob

Post by RangerBob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 am

Core looks managable to me ;):

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=40

I guess if you were careful with a hacksaw ... all the vdd and gnds are on the inner legs.... ;)

blackcattech

Post by blackcattech » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 am

Not so sure myself.... Try comparing an SO14 package beside a DIL package and to the picture. The SO14 looks only just wide enough so the die attach wires may cause issues.

That said, this is the older core on view, not sure if the newer K series is smaller - I believe this is fabricated on a newer process.

RKP

Post by RKP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Well you could use the QFN package but they are impossible to hand solder.

For a free compiler for 16F Pics I recommend (I use) MikroElektronika MikroBasic.
David feel free to whack this post for an advertisement, this is not my intent.
It has a 2k limit for the free version, so if you can fit it in that your good to go.

The syntax an structure is similiar to Swordfish, but Swordfish is my compiler of choice for 18F. I wish and many have also, that David create a compiler for the 16 bit Pics.