An all-PIC project. aka Braggart Thread.

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Senacharim

An all-PIC project. aka Braggart Thread.

Post by Senacharim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 pm

I realize this has been up for a couple years, and it just recently occurred to me to share it here...

http://youtu.be/M8DERzTSpK0

What you're seeing there is a VMS (Variable Message Sign) with functions entirely via numerous PIC18's, all of which were coded (*by me!*) in Swordfish.

I attribute a great deal of the success of my PIC projects to Swordfish, it being far superior to PIC Basic Pro as well as Microcode Studio.

(Just to brag, I also did the video editing)

Please, query if you like or follow this post with an awesome PIC & Swordfish project of your own!
Surviving Member
Bermuda Triangle Battalion
from 2026 to 1992

Voted "Most likely to time travel"--Class of 2024.

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Definitely cool. I am obsessed with led signs. Got any details on the sign? I have kids now and have thought about setting up one of these for the neighborhood to keep the speeders "scared".

What did you do for the radar? I am guessing some sort of commerical unit with serial interface.

Got a project page? What chips did you use? Any details that you can share are appreciated. Cool project!
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!
www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:11 pm

The radar is a DRU-III (directional radar unit 3) from Decatur, features configurable serial output.

Sadly, no project page, as it was work-for-hire for RU2 Systems, and they've chosen not to share. However, I'll be glad to answer questions.

The VMS display is driven by 20 18F2520 chips. They are all orchestrated by a control-unit in the lower portion which is an 18F2620 with 2-line LCD, 3 buttons, and a SD card slot.

All the circuit-boards were done custom.
Surviving Member
from 2026 to 1992

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 pm

I have a sales inquiry into Decatur now. They are passing me from one rep to another. Annoying. Any idea on ball park pricing for these DRU-III units?
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 pm

I know it's in the range of "a few hundred dollars" (I was insulated from pricing concerns) and definitely less than 1000.
Surviving Member
from 2026 to 1992

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 am

Got the SI-3 unit. Cost was $600 for one. Trouble is they do some wonky stuff on the RS232 port. Nothing big, but I am having trouble initiating RS232 with the unit. I did not opt for their $50 rs232 cable. A bit ridiculuous for a simple injection of 12V power. Anyways, there is a "remote ON" pin, but the manual only alludes to its functionality. There is also no documentation on the Rs232 commands used to program the unit. Any info you can share on getting up and running with this unit would be appreciated.
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 pm

There's a (crummy) piece of software called (I think) DRU-II Config.

If you get it, it serial comms to/from the radar and can be used to change the settings.

I'd actually written a module for changing the radar settings, but that external drive is in storage (I recently moved to Cali) and will continue to be there until we get a full-sized place (soon, I hope).

It is kind-of a pain at first, but I have tons of experience on those, if you need the help.

Feel free to PM me if you'd care to work out more direct arrangements.
Surviving Member
from 2026 to 1992

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Surviving Member
from 2026 to 1992

ohararp

Post by ohararp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks for the details. I was able to talk to "tech support" who was super awesome. I am pretty sure he's ordered stencils from me before. Anyways, we think the RS-232 is dead. As part of the debugging process I couldn't resist pulling the radar unit apart! Power board is on the botttom and the Ti DSP unit that does the velocity calcs is on the bottom. Frequency generator and horn is in the middle.

PS I'll be in San Diego next week. If you are nearby let me know!
Thanks Ryan
$25 SMT Stencils!!!

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 am

I'm in Ventura, kinda "on the way" to San Diego if you're driving from a certain direction...
Surviving Member
from 2026 to 1992