Good 18f97jxx developpement board

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

tass

Good 18f97jxx developpement board

Post by tass » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:10 pm

hi all
can any one give me an idea for a Good 18f97jxx MCU based developpement board?

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi Tass,
I bought a MikroElectronica board from Mantattan Controls LLD - CircuitED www.circuit-ed.com that is specifically designed for J parts, the LV18FJ. Although it doesn't come with your specific chip, it is possible to put a different chip on the carrier. You get a blank carrier from CircuitED (check to see if they have stock) and you can solder your own if you don't mind working with surface mount. In my experience, you get a lot for the cost of the board.

Here's a description:

http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/lv18fj/

73's,
de Tom

tass

Post by tass » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:49 pm

hi RadioT
yes i think that is the best choice ! but i have never soldered a surface mount component ! is it dificult?
merci tom

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Hand soldering - it takes a lot of practice!! The pins on these parts are very small and close together. I think CircuitEd has surface mount equipment. Maybe see if they can put it on for you for a fee? Perhaps send a private mail message to XOR and ask him.

-Tom

dman776

Post by dman776 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 pm

SMT hand soldering is a little tricky, but, with some good desoldering braid, it's not too bad.

Here are a few ways that I've done it successfully...

1) If you have a good solder mask on your PCB, you just apply solder across the pins (bridging is ok). Then, lay the desoldering braid across them, heat it up, and it will remove the bridges.

or

2) if you have some solder paste (Great stuff by the way), use a pin and apply a tiny bit to each pad. Place your part. touch your iron to the pad and presto, instant solder.

or

3) (solder paste again) apply as before but use a toaster oven for a few minutes to set the solder. (MAKE SURE THE TOASTER IS NEVER AGAIN USED FOR FOOD!)

blueroomelectronics

Post by blueroomelectronics » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I had to solder down a TQFP 0.5mm, I used a Schmartboard and it was pretty easy actually.

xor

Post by xor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:22 am

RadioT wrote:I think CircuitEd has surface mount equipment. Maybe see if they can put it on for you for a fee? Perhaps send a private mail message to XOR and ask him.
-Tom
Not me! I think a couple other users in the forum have this equipment. Like Bill, I have used Schmartboard which isn't too bad for starters and getting a not too high pin count IC connected quickly to your system. I think the solder paste and toaster is the better (at least cheaper) approach for high pin count IC's.

mikroE sells empty high pin count MCU boards that fit that their development boards. I am going to stop carrying them soon. I have several empty's of certain MCU's that have gathered a lot of 'dust' due to lack of popularity, disinterest, or whatever. For the great variety of MCU boards, some sell, some don't. You are at the mercy of the whims of the current customer. They would all sell in a heartbeat if they had MCU's already attached, virtually no matter the MCU.

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:59 am

Oh well, I tried, XOR!! Yes, putting a chip on a carrier can be daunting, espcially if you only buy one each!

Yes, I've done the solder paste thing too. One good trick from the Schmart Board people is to line up the chip (use a magnifier - mandatory!!) and tape down the half you are not soldering. Then once you get a bunch of pads done, take off the tape and do the other side. Simple and it works. Solder wick is your friend. A good idea to practice first. I think the pitch on your chip is about 20 thousands of an inch. Nearly invisible to these tired old eyes......

-Tom