Small PC(?) for onsite programming and/or Data Collection.

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Francis

Small PC(?) for onsite programming and/or Data Collection.

Post by Francis » Mon May 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Has anyone used a small PC/Handheld type device for
a) Data collection
b) Programming.
all in good ol' serial.

The 2 scenarios that are of interest to me are:
1. On site collection of Data from a PIC based Data logger via serial connection. (No SD card or similar).
2. On-site pogramming from the PC/SF + USB-Serial adaptor. Obv it wil need to run SF and support USB dongle and possibley USB-Serial adaptor.

Has anyone tried ASUS eee or similar for 1 and 2 (above) or a Palm 'Something' for 1 above?
Any other suggestions for 1 or 2 gratefully accepted. But I am intrested in a new PC/Hanheld as opposed to something old/serial which I might be able to get.
(Cheap/small as possible just in case of damage/loss)
Ta.

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Mon May 26, 2008 3:58 pm

ASUS eee runs linux not windows
PALM runs PalmOS not windows
I'd say an El Chepo laptop would be your best bet
If you can read this you are too close

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Mon May 26, 2008 4:09 pm

I have looked at the ASUS eee as well. It is available with WINDOWS XP HOME - my local BESTBUY sells it in that configuration.

However, it is US$400 with a 4GB flash drive. You can get a real laptop for about the same price. The small size is really nice though.

Raistlin

Post by Raistlin » Mon May 26, 2008 5:43 pm

You could take a look at PicoITX really tieeny weeny form factor motherboards with CPU,GFX ect built in. You'd need a monitor to go on it , but are they SMALL :)

http://www.nordichardware.com/forum/vie ... 5&forum=30
If you can read this you are too close

Francis

Post by Francis » Mon May 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks all.
Yes, ASUS eeee has Windows option (otherwise I wouldn;t even consider it) , but I didn't know whether the SF would work or if SF USB dongle works OK. Also didn't know whether standard USB-serial adaptors would work OK.

Palm, yes I realise Palm O/S. You can get NSBasic for Palm which has 'serial' commands. Again , especially as it is USB 'slave' whether any special USB-Serial adaptors were available with appropriate drivers.

The only appeal with Eee is size/reasonable cost, otherwise a cheap laptop was my option, which is not ideal but looks the only option. Pity.

I'll have to wait for someone to buy an eee an try it.

Edit: Hey, that's a neat little board, but I was hoping for something to work out-of-the-box.