Help deciphering data sheet, t6963c

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

hgboy

Help deciphering data sheet, t6963c

Post by hgboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:25 pm

The datasheet for my display can be found here.

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/12 ... sheet.html

it is a crystalfontz 128x64 with a toshiba controller. I have it interfaced with a pic18f4550. The data pins are all allocated to port b, with the control lines on port d7, d6, d5, d4, and port c7. I have the backlight and contrast control connected correctly, I just have no idea where to go from here. As there is no library in sf for the t6963c yet, I guess that means I have to do everything by hand. Can anyone give me some sample code to get this lcd up and running, or point me to any useful information? The datasheet is hard for me to understand, as I have no experience with lcds, and not very much experience with the pic itself either.

octal

Post by octal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Hello hgboy,
I have a working Toshiba T6963 driver module for Swordfish. I worked on it some time ago (more than 3 months ago if I remember) when I had to test the new version of GLCD Font Creator (unicode support mainly). I tested it last days with a 240x128 glcd unit (I bought from MikroE shop, but any glcd should work) and it's working.

The module is not that clean. I have to add some Text stuff support and extract some variables as options.
The main pb (and very fine thing) with the Toshiba T6963 controller, is that it let you work with Text and graphics simultaniously and for text it let you also affect some attributes like blinking, set cursor visibility, ... the main pb is that it's limited to its 6x8 or 8x8 internal char generator.
For that I did not do a lot of stuff as my main concern was to create a compatible Swordfish Graphics driver to render SF fonts.
I got it to draw some stuff and render proportional fonts of Swordfish GLCD Lib.

Now the idea is to:
1- make things clean.
2- add Text support
3- Add variable memory size support and buffer copying/swaping support, as each T6963 based display have an external RAM (mine has 32Kbyte ram) that is used to render the drawing and is mapped directly to the physical screen.
3- and integrate it fully to SF lib,
4- and, (the most ennoying thing) write an article on the WIKI ;)

I'll try to do that this weekend and post the driver on sunday (I hope).

Best regards
octal

hgboy

Post by hgboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 am

That would be absolutely amazing. After poring over the data sheets I have found for the past three days or so, I have managed to get it all connected (properly I think) and wrote a small snippet of code in sf to reset the screen and perform a status check. The screen displays some garbage, but thats more than I was hoping to get out of it. Hopefully your module will be a good starting point in learning how the graphic lcds themselves work. I look forward to testing it out.

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:56 am

Also looking forward to your T6963 module. Thanks, Octal.

octal

Post by octal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 pm

rmteo wrote:Also looking forward to your T6963 module. Thanks, Octal.
I'll post it this weekend for sure. need just a bit of free time to clean the code.

Regards
octal

octal

Post by octal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:22 am

btw. Here is a picture demonstrating Swordfish Basic GLCD Font example on a Toshiba T6963C (240x128 display bought from mikroE).

The picture also shows the full UNICODE fonts support by the new version of GLCD Font Creator (chinese drawn chars/ideograms on the photo below are really managed as font chars like any other font, not bitmaps ;) no there is no cheats). The new version of the plugin will be published in upcoming days. I have to finish some urgent work before ;)

PS. On the photo I wrote some chinese chars (I think/hope these idiograms are chinese as I do not understand chinese :mrgreen:), but GLCD Font Creator now support FULL Unicode fonts import, so arabic, hebrew, thai, cyrilic, ... and all other 88 unicode fonts blocs are fully handled. Stay tunned ;)

Regards
octal

rmteo

Post by rmteo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:48 pm

How is the T6963 module coming along?

Toley

Post by Toley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Hello Octal, I am also very interested by the T6963 module. I have to say that GLCD Font Creator 2 seems very impressive too!

octal

Post by octal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:38 am

Preversion posted on the wiki !!!

http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =4438#4438

Regards
octal