Building a Graphic color LCD driver

Discuss PIC and electronic related things

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Are you want to buy a Graphic Color display?

Yes, directly when posible
31%
Yes, when the price is right
54%
Maby, i do not have a need for this
15%
No.
No votes

Total votes: 13

NielsNL

Building a Graphic color LCD driver

Post by NielsNL » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Hallo all,

I'm in the planning to use a Graphic color lcd from EDT (type ET032001DH9). It uses a ili9320 graphic controllor.
This controllor is very easy to use i think together with a PIC18F4550.

Now i like to know of there are more people who like to have this kind of LCD display? Maby we can combine owr work to make it usefull.

When there are enough people that like to get this display. Then i can buy a big amound and create a nice small backboard for it so you get a nice interface posiblilty to you developers boards.

Let me know how you are thinking about this.

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm

I did see i forgot to place some specs:

the display is a 3,2" 320RGB240 with a touchscreen

The onboard controller can be configurated as a 8bit/9bit/16bit/18bit interface en can selfs via SDI werken.

Steven
BETA Tester

Post by Steven » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 pm

I like the idea of a large colour display with touchscreen. I'd be surprised if a PIC would drive this display at any useable speed, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. If you persue this, I'd be up for helping.

liger

320x240 LCD Display using the ILI9320 Swordfish Driver

Post by liger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm currently working with the this display using the ILI9320 controller and I'm porting the C driver for the display this week. I'd be glad to share my results and like Steven said I'm a bit concerned about effectively driving/refreshing the graphics with a PIC18F4550 but I'll let you know once I have some test code.

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks Liger,

I'm still waiting on my display, so i can't tell how it will perform at the moment. But I know someone else has done it before, only with a other display but with the same controler. So i think, it can be done. You can find some pictures here on his site: http://www.techtoys.com.hk/index.html

There you can find also a libery for the iLi9320. Maby that helps.
Also i have the initialisation code for you when you like to have.

I will post you my steps later when i have recived my display.

PS. Liger, What do you use to setup the +/- 19,5 V for the backround LEDS?

liger

Post by liger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 pm

I'm using the TechToys carrier board for the 2.4 LCD display and the carrier board has a built-in LED boost circuit.

I'm actually porting the ILI9320 driver provided with the display from C to Swordfish...

Are we doing exactly the same piece of work here?

If you already have init code for the 9320 would it be possible to share that code? I'll do the same once I get additional functions/features working with the driver.

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:38 pm

liger wrote:I'm using the TechToys carrier board for the 2.4 LCD display and the carrier board has a built-in LED boost circuit.
Now i'm a bit confused, are you using my described lcd display from EDT or the one from TechToys? Beceuse the leds are connected differently. the once from grouped as 4 sets of leds and the One from EDT has one set of 6 leds.
liger wrote:I'm actually porting the ILI9320 driver provided with the display from C to Swordfish...

Are we doing exactly the same piece of work here?
I have not started yet with coding for the display. I'm waiting on the delivery of it. I have just got a message that it will be shipped very soon.

My idea is to use the graphic lib's that already exist for SF and create a new controler libery.
liger wrote:If you already have init code for the 9320 would it be possible to share that code? I'll do the same once I get additional functions/features working with the driver.
What i have seen sofar is that the init code for the Displays are different for each display. So it is diffucult to create a general init procedure, i think.
The idea i have now is to create a Event call where the init code is putinto.
Does this make any sence?

greetings
Niels

liger

Post by liger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm

:oops: I didn't quite read the first post...I was actually searching on the 9320 driver chip and found the thread. I'm using the TechToys carrier board which has a 2.4 LCD with the ILI9320. The good news IMO is that the 9320 driver is the key part to these so software that we develop for the EDT or TechToys carrier should be compatible.

I expect to do my first testing of the new code Thurs night. I'll keep you updated - please do the same.

BTW - where did you purchase the EDT display?

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:05 pm

I have purge this display by a distributor here in the netherlands as sample. The only thing is that i need to buy atliest 100 displays when i start using it for my project.

So i did think how can i get more sales about this display. ;)

Yes i will keep you up to date too

tkj

Post by tkj » Sat May 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi.
Any news regarding this?
As I've just got my display today, and would like to know if there is any library available for Swordfish?

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Tue May 26, 2009 9:00 pm

hello Thomas,

Sorry, i have droped my project. I hoped to create a simple project but after some time i came empty handed.

But what kind of display did you got?

tkj

Post by tkj » Tue May 26, 2009 9:10 pm

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks Thomas,

last week i have also purchased a QTFT display from them (the 2,8") version. For now i need to know how to connect because the cd does not descripe it for the 2,8" ony for the 2.4" version.

Did you already had time to play with your device?

Greetings
Niels

MattH

Post by MattH » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:53 pm

NielsNL

Post by NielsNL » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks Matt,

This PDF is from an other display then i have.

btw this is the one i have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0290229980

greetings
niels