Missing the final compiler's line on the IDE

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

LEEDNH

Missing the final compiler's line on the IDE

Post by LEEDNH » Sun May 15, 2022 1:29 am

I have a minor problem with the IDE screen. After a successful compilation,
the screen jumps, but the final line that summarizes the results at the
bottom of the IDE page never appears. I also have a version of Swordfish SE
and, of course, the IDE works just fine with SE. I have looked in the program
files area of W7 and the two IDE files (registered version & SE) differ in size by
a few bytes. I would try copying the SE IDE over to the full version but do not
want mess it up.... Any thoughts or ideas ? Thank you! Lee

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Re: Missing the final compiler's line on the IDE

Post by David Barker » Sun May 15, 2022 7:24 am

Do you mean the summary window is not appearing after a successful compile? If so, select VIEW...EDITOR OPTIONS and make sure that "display full summary after successful comp" is enabled.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Sun May 15, 2022 10:48 am

After verifying that setting, if you're getting some messages in the 'Results' window then at the right of the 'Results' titlebar there's a small 'downarrow'. Click that and try selecting 'Toggle View'.
I would try copying the SE IDE over to the full version...
You don't want to do that...

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Mon May 16, 2022 1:26 am

Gentlemen,
I would try copying the SE IDE over to the full version... Yes, I did not want to do that!
At that point, my troubleshooting ended and my post began.... Minds greater than mine being needed....

If the summary window is what appears at the bottom of the IDE then what I am trying to say is that it appears for perhaps 50 milliseconds.
Enough time to notice the display jump but not enough time to read anything. The other boxes on the screen during a compile appear as
they normally do. The editor option is selected for (display full summary etc) and I have tried deselecting and restarting (display full summary etc) in the IDE and then re-selecting with the same result.

The IDE works just fine with this one exception and I really don't need to know how much memory has been used, but I have become accustomed
to the feature. My last registered copy died with the HDD on my former HP. So I am down to my last spare copy after this one.

BTW Great Compiler.... I am particularly fond of the SUART.... It saved me about a week of time a few years back......
Lee

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Mon May 16, 2022 2:33 am

Jerry,

I forgot to mention about the down arrow on the right side of the results bar.
I don't get the results bar. (Or I may for a few milliseconds).
I get a bar that has a right facing arrow just before the word Ready which then indicates
the position of the cursor and flashes a quick message that my software is up to date.

Lee

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm

Just so we're all talking about the same thing... is it the 'Results' window or the bottom 'Success' line that doesn't appear?
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 5510 times

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Tue May 17, 2022 3:32 am

Hi Jerry
Yes, we both agree. what you have shown is the results bar.
What I get is a bar that says READY (a single line height bar).

I did some additional testing Sunday comparing results between the Full SF and SFse.
SFse provides expected "normal" results on programs compiled that are within the memory limit.

I took one program and reduced it to just some variable definitions, SUART, and uART output.
Compiles on se telling me that there are many unused variables as expected....
Gives the jump on the full SF version.

I will be doing more testing with the small program...

Lee

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Tue May 17, 2022 4:58 am

MORE INFO - I think this may be helpful.

I have been concentrating on the compile messages and looking for the results bar.
The test program I have been using has no header file and has no resemblance to a program.
When I hit compile, the screen jumps, a different program appears, then the screen jumps and the test program reappears.

Looks like the IDE and Compiler are not on the same page (literally). Now it seems to be stuck on my test program.

The line above the code display page { *The program "my test program" is the compiler build root file } and does not want to accept
the current file from the IDE. ^
gold star

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue May 17, 2022 11:33 am

You can have multiple editor windows open in the IDE with different programs/modules at the same time.

If this is the case, if one of the editor windows is marked as 'The program "my test program" is the compiler build root file' ,
then no matter which editor window is open when you go to compile it's "my test program" that'll be compiled.

What you'll see sounds like what you describe... it'll switch to "my test program", compile it, and then switch back to the open window.
The "Results" window will disappear since it applies to "my test program", and not the editor window that has focus.

You can mark/unmark the "compiler build root file" by double-clicking the editor window title bar that shows the file name (ie "my test program").
The title bar should change to 'The program "my test program" is the compiler build root file' and have a gold star in the title bar.
Double click it again and it'll unmark it and go back to display "my test program" in the editor title bar.

Try this - close all the open editor windows and just open the one you're trying to compile. That should work.

LEEDNH

Post by LEEDNH » Thu May 19, 2022 11:15 pm

That's it! Thank you Jerry!! I say that so often that if this were done via paper, I would have a stamp made...

I had 6 different basic programs in the IDE..... I was under the impression that each new file loaded replaced the previous one...

Now I know what CLOSE PAGE and CLOSE ALL are for under the FILE tab. I've been using the IDE for years and just got into this... DUH...

Just one last question, is there a data sheet for the iDE? I would certainly refer to it before bothering you and David.

Lee

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Fri May 20, 2022 10:29 am

Glad we got it figured out, Lee.

I don't think there's a "users guide", just the 'development environment' section in the IDE help.
Sometimes I just stumble across stuff like this myself, so don't feel bad!