Windows 7

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Doj

Windows 7

Post by Doj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 pm

As part of my companies business we have to test code on all platforms, unfortunately Windows 7 is here and it has to be part of the structure.
It works beautifully in the VM on my Mac but when trying to install SF things go awry.

The install goes well and the dongle is installed no problem.
A test compile of a sample went perfectly, but trying something which was mine and not using a 452 failed with a system file missing.

On looking at the directory structure there are several non installed directories (includes, library and user, from memory) from the original install disk.
If these missing directories are copied over it still does not work.

So it seems as if SF is firmly XP based for the moment unless there is some inspiration from within.

octal

Post by octal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:32 am

Hello
I didnt checked that on Vista, but from what you mention, the three forlders (includes, library and user, from memory) are the folders that needs to be modified by the updater regularly, so I dont think you'll find them on Programs folder.
You should certainly find them in the Program Data\UserProfile\.... and then mecanique folder (or Swordfish)...

Check that .. Maybe your folders are there

Regards
octal

Doj

Post by Doj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Hello Octal,
Thanks for the reply, I use XP and have never seen a Vista machine, in XP the folders have always been in Program files when installed, certainly was when I tested on a completely new XP install on a spare machine yesterday.

Any way, it looks like windows thinks it knows what is best for me rather than me being able to decide for myself.
There are indeed directories in the documents folder but only Samples and UserLibrary.

The includes is missing so it does not install all the devices, unless of course there is another wild goose chase to be had for that directory.

When can we have a Mac version and get rid of all this brain ache!

Doj

Post by Doj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Well to my absolute amazement there was another wild goose chase.
For unfathomable reasons windows nannies my files on to the hard disk in 3 different places, and just to make it a little more exciting it makes the one required hidden so it is not available unless you can find the file options form in order to turn it on.

I can not compile yet as the key is not here but try I will later, it looks as though there really are no issues with SF in win7 except for the fact that it is win7 and I have got used to a sensible OS in last couple of months.

Doj

Post by Doj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:20 pm

I can now confirm two things, one, SF works perfectly well in Win7 and secondly, win7 looks like a 14 year old girl designed the graphics in her art class.

Francis

Post by Francis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Thats good news re: SF working.

Win7. Isn't there a button so you can select 'Windows for Big People' - or will Microsoft always reduce everything to kiddie-speak.
"Hello Boys and Girls, shall we write a letter today? Here's a picture of a letter. And here's a picture of a pen - you probably don't know how to use one of these. Your GrandMa used these for writing."

Doj

Post by Doj » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm

I am not out to bash windows in all its glory, but a little common sense would be nice, if this is an improvement on vista then vista must have been truly horrible.

The standard theme presented is horrible and the "are you sure you want to open that file that you just clicked on" followed by "are you sure you want the computer to modify this file on the hard disk" when just copying stuff about is such a real idiot thing to be faced with that I almost gave up and ordered everyone back to XP.

There is a slider which equates to stupidity level, once found all the ridiculous messages are removed.

Apart from it looking awful it actually works well and is quick to install and low impact on the SSD, which is great.
Works with SF, Proton, Isis, Ares etc, and all my other compilers without needing any special drivers so the compatibility seems excellent.

Only fair to finish on a good note.

Francis

Post by Francis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Fair enough. The Stupidity Slider sounds a good idea.
Does the dancing Paperclip change to Einstein scratching his head as the slider is moved? :)

Doj

Re: Windows 7

Post by Doj » Wed May 14, 2014 4:04 am

having seen windows 8 I wish einstein were back with us scratching his head.
much as anyone will be as to why this post occurred so many years apart, hahahahahaahha