IDE crashing? Turn off 'Explore Includes'

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

IDE crashing? Turn off 'Explore Includes'

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:08 pm

I've been working on a port of the latest network stack (v5.2), adding in support for for some of the missing modules (such as MPFS2, telnet, SNMP, etc).
Along with my application code, the project has grown to almost 100 files, and the IDE has gotten very unstable and slow as I add in support for more features.
I've been getting odd 'out of memory' errors, really slow compile times, greyed out/choking code explorer operation, and intermittent crashes of the IDE.

I started watching the memory usage with Windows Task Manager, and got a real surprise...the IDE was taking up some 900MBytes of memory!
That's not the worst of it...as I included some files, I could watch the memory usage increase to over 2G bytes (at which point things usually crashed).

Poking around, I discovered that I had the 'Explore Includes' option checked in the Code Explorer's drop down box. I'm not sure exactly what this option does,
but unchecking it has made all the difference in the world. Memory usage dropped radically, back down in the 20-40Mbyte range, CPU usage dropped, and the
IDE has become functional again.

Just thought I'd give a head's up.

Jerry

Doj

Post by Doj » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Jerry this was an issue about 18-24 months ago when I got a very large program with plenty of includes, it was eating massive amounts of memory as the code explorer was logging all the parts of the includes.

I have not seen it since it was fixed but perhaps you have done what I did then but BIGGER!

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:59 am

Yeh Doj, I sort of remember seeing that thread.
I have not seen it since it was fixed but perhaps you have done what I did then but BIGGER!
I guess 'fixed' is a relative term, eh?

Jerry