IDE errors

Discuss the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

JWinters

IDE errors

Post by JWinters » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Does anyone get "Access Violation" errors while editing code? Sometimes it kills the entire app, other times it doesn't. But I'm surprised how often it happens (at least once a day).

Doj

Post by Doj » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:41 pm

I have SF on a laptop and a top spec quad core base unit both with XP Pro and have never seen this issue, SF is the latest version, are you sure you are completely up to date?

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Yes, I'm all up to date.

I guess I'm the only user with this issue. Now it happens about every other time I compile. I have to use the task manager to end the process.

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:22 pm

I just did a fresh install hoping that would help. Same problem.

AndyO

Post by AndyO » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 am

Sorry I can't help - low spec desktop and even lower spec laptop both running SF in XP no problems at all.

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:15 am

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear of your problems. Did you recently install any new software? It may just be a conflict.I am running the latest version of SF and have XP Pro SP3 and have not had any problems.
Running version 2.2.4.0 ICC 1.2.1.0
Regards CharlieM

Doj

Post by Doj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:52 pm

I have had this in the past with earlier versions of the IDE, I do not recall seeing it for a long time and even now on a new Mac Book Pro with a virtual machine SF works without flaw.

Just for an experiment try a simple small program which is nothing to do with the one you are working on at the moment and see what happens.
Although unlikely, there could be something in your current code that is upsetting things, perhaps a character in the wrong place that manifests its self with an unconnected error, who knows?

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:05 pm

This problem comes and goes at random it seems. That makes it hard to track down the cause. Today I haven't seen the error at all and I've compiled a dozen times. I'm hoping it'll go away the next time I do a complete OS re-install.

Doj

Post by Doj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 pm

must be XP then!

Francis

Post by Francis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 pm

These things are very annoying.
I had a similar issue with a.n.other IDE.

Sometimes it seemed to happen every 10 minutes and then wouldn't happen for days. Yet same IDE on another PC was fine.

I've never had it happen so far with SF.

I use XP.

Doj

Post by Doj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Well looking logically, I do not have the issue on a real XP laptop or on a Mac with XP in a VM with several different programs I tried tonight.
I suspect most others do not get this either (from the response).

I suppose that as you are only just seeing happen now the problem must be something that has changed some time recently.

I have had a few XP updates in the last few days, how about doing a restore to some time ago and see if that changes anything?

You could also send the code if you want and I can stick it in my system to see what happens.

Toley

Post by Toley » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 am

Hi JWinters,

If I was you, I would hurry made a backup of my important data. I ever had this kind of problem and some days after, my Hard drive stop turning. Maybe this is not your case but better take no chance.

JWinters

Post by JWinters » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:20 pm

My hard drive gets backed up every night. But I don't think it's a hardware problem, the rest of my applications run just fine. I'll try running it in VM (assuming I can get it to recognize the dongle) and see if there are problems there.

Doj

Post by Doj » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 pm

I have no problem with Fusion on the Mac but Parallels is really not very flexible on the USB side of things.

Fusion allows attach and detach of all and any USB device at any time from any state of the view or if the device is on a hub, you can even have Mac and XP devices on the same hub and it all works perfectly.

Parallels is useless in this area, you can not reliably get anything on a hub working and it needs restarting to get anything unusual like dongles or PICJKIT2 to work.

Nightmare, bought both of them and put Parallels in the bin.