Dongle still needed?

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Dredd

Dongle still needed?

Post by Dredd » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:01 pm

I have read here (third post) that when SF is updated to the latest release, the dongle isnt required anymore.

I have SF version 2.2.1.3 and while it opens if there is no dongle, i can't compile. (Same case when building an SF project in MPLAB). The view/result menu option is grayed out in SF IDE and when i hit compile, nothing happens.

I also notice that SF now sells as electronic delivery, so no more dongle.

So my question is does the dongle is still required?

<Edit>
The only reason i am asking is purely for pratical purpose. Would be easier for transporation if the dongle wasnt required anymore, as i need to insert/remove it from my laptop eveytime to put it in my bag.
</Edit>

Thanks

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:10 pm

The dongle isn't required anymore.

The View | Results... menu is grayed out until you've compiled the .bas file and there's some result to display (actually, it's greyed out if there's no *.sfp file, which you should get once you compile).
when i hit compile, nothing happens
Can't help much there. It still works with the dongle attached?

Dredd

Post by Dredd » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Jerry,
Yes, it does compile successfully if the dongle is present. Same thing happens when I build inside MPLAB. If the dongle is present, I can build successfully. If not, then build will fail.

Thanks

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Yes thats true the Dongle was deleted a few version back now, Have you tried un-installing SF and re-installing SF from the new electronic download.

Download = http://www.mecanique-web.co.uk/download ... ish-si.exe - Then enter your product installation key!.

Note, you might not need to but make sure you backup any projects you have or any changed modules you have in the UserLibrary folder.

Dredd

Post by Dredd » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for the info.

The problem is that i don't have a product installation key. The DVD i got as no number in it, probably because it was a dongle version back then...

Thanks

Senacharim

Post by Senacharim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 pm

I can free up the USB port on my computer where the dongle had previously taken up permanent residence? Awesome!
Surviving Member
Bermuda Triangle Battalion
from 2026 to 1992

Voted "Most likely to time travel"--Class of 2024.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 pm

The dongle is no longer needed, but you will need a product code. This is supplied on the CD ROM box in older versions of the compiler. If you bought your compiler recently, the product code will have been emailed out to you.

Note that some dual dongle boxes did not have product codes supplied. If this is the case, you will need to contact me directly and I will issue one for you (I will need proof of purchase if not bought directly from Mecanique).

Dredd

Post by Dredd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi David,
Thanks. I bought the dual license with not product code in it, so ill send you an e-mail.

Thanks