Is it possible to download the full version of Swordfish?

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

bradsprojects

Is it possible to download the full version of Swordfish?

Post by bradsprojects » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 am

Hi all,

I have upgraded my laptop and the new one doesn't have a DVD drive (and I don't have any other computers here with a DVD drive). basically I would like to install Swordfish Compiler on my new laptop but can't because I only have a DVD copy.

Is there a place / link to download it from? I have the product key on the external casing of my DVD copy so I assume that key will work with a downloaded full version rather than my specific DVD version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Brad

bitfogav

Re: Is it possible to download the full version of Swordfish

Post by bitfogav » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:30 pm

David has posted a link on this topic which may help Brad

http://sfcompiler.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1799

bradsprojects

Post by bradsprojects » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks Gav, unfortunately it hasn't worked for me.

I downloaded and then ran the application, typed in my product key, it didn't accept it the first time because I didn't put spaces in, but then the second time (with spaces) it accepted the key and then looked like it was going to download something and said 'verifying application requirements' it then came up with an error 'cannot download the application. The application is missing required files'

Then when I click on the 'details' button, it spits out the error report, however the error report has nothing to do with swordfish! the errors coming up has to do with some of my visual basic applications that I have written.

having said all that, i have been able to get my dvd contents written to a USB drive and ran the setup file on my computer. It installed fine and did not even ask me for my product key at all. Since this is the old version, I clicked 'VIEW' 'ONLINE UPDATES' it came up with 'connecting to server' but then it does nothing.

And finally, I am using the 18F26K22 chip (which I have been using without a problem with SFBasic SE) but now that I try to use it with the full version, it gives me a whole heap of ASM errors - for exactly the same code that compiles fine in the SE version.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 am

> however the error report has nothing to do with swordfish

This is what you need to do

(1) delete everything in your windows TEMP folder
(2) run "swordfish-si.exe" and enter your key again

This will fix the problem for you.

> And finally, I am using the 18F26K22 chip (which I have been using without a problem with SFBasic SE) but now...

You need to get the latest version of the compiler first (see above). Once you have done that, try rebuilding your project. If the problem persists, please supply some sample code so I can reproduce the problem here. Please let me know how it goes...

bradsprojects

Post by bradsprojects » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply David.

I deleted the contents of windows\temp however it yielded the same error. I restarted windows 7 and still came up the same.

I then tried it under windows 8 and it worked like a charm. i.e. using swordfish-si.exe

So that is all working and it compiles just fine. I now just need to go and fix up the 18f26k22 include file so I can use PORTE :)

thanks again Gav and David.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 am

> I deleted the contents of windows\temp however it yielded the same error

The install definitely works on win7. Which folder did you clear out?

bradsprojects

Post by bradsprojects » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 pm

I deleted everything in c:\windows\temp

Is that the one you were referring to?

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:46 pm

No, that won't work on Win7. To see the correct path, open a DOS window and type

echo %TEMP%

which will display the correct user temp folder. Delete the contents of this folder and try the install again.

bradsprojects

Post by bradsprojects » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Okay thank you.

I found where it was located, deleted it all and tried again. Same problem unfortunately. In fact I can be quite certain that it was the correct folder because once I tried to run the installation, it made a couple of new folders in that same temp folder.

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:17 pm

When you run "swordfish-si.exe" it will place "setup.exe" in your windows temp folder. When this is executed, it will generate two additional tmp folders when the actual installer runs. If the installer *is not* the Swordfish installer, then windows is not giving you correct access to "setup.exe" and it is starting another application on your machine.

bradsprojects

Post by bradsprojects » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:06 pm

I think I see what must be happening, since it is looking for a generic setup filename, anything with that name could be launched. So I guess it is perhaps finding one of my VB install files and launching that instead.

I'll have to come back to this problem in a little bit - For now I have windows 8 in a virtual environment working just fine, but I would like to get it going in windows 7 at some stage.

Thank you again for you help.