Stupid Compiler problem - eveything has stopped working

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Sean Banan

Re: Compiler/Assembler problem - eveything has stopped worki

Post by Sean Banan » Mon May 18, 2015 8:16 am

Hi Jerry,

I have just tested SF at another location which also has Visual Studio 2013 and Xamarin and Everything is working fine.

MPASM is version 4.52 on the system that works, not sure at this minute which version is on the system that fails, will check later.

Do you have anymore feedback on what could be wrong with MPASM ?

Best regards,
SB

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Re: Stupid Compiler problem - eveything has stopped working

Post by Jerry Messina » Mon May 18, 2015 10:18 am

If you haven't updated the assembler then you probably have MPASM v5.42.

I don't have any good ideas as to how to find out what's going on.

You can try MPASM by itself. Navigate to the <SF install dir>\bin folder and open a command prompt window there. Run 'MPASMWin.exe' from the command prompt and that should open the assembler. Use the 'Browse' button to navigate to one of the "empty" .asm files (or any others for that matter) and click 'Assemble' and see what happens.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Mon May 18, 2015 6:26 pm

I have just tested SF at another location which also has Visual Studio 2013 and Xamarin and Everything is working fine
I would bet if you compared the windows system dll's and visual studio runtime versions between the two machines they wouldn't match up.

In my experience, installing Visual Studio is a real crapshoot as to exactly what it does to your machine. It tends to do a whole lot more than just install the ide/compiler.

A little while back I updated my VS2010 installation to install the 64-bit C++ compiler. That was a mistake.

It took days of failed installations, system restores, packages failing to register correctly, web searches, installing new/different patches, changing the installation order, etc before I finally got an installation that would run.

I never did get it to install properly without errors, but I was lucky enough to find just the right combination/sequence of downloads such that it runs. Lucky, cause in the process VS updated many of my dll's in such a way as to make the whole package uninstallable.

Sean Banan

Post by Sean Banan » Mon May 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi Jerry,

A million thanks for your help. Yes, changing Compatibility Mode solved the problem.

For some reason it had got changed, so I set it back to my current OS. Now everything is working fine again.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

Kindest regards,
SB

Sean Banan

Post by Sean Banan » Mon May 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Jerry,

Your comments about Visual Studio completely match up to my experience.

The reason I went down that path was to write a USB HID program for Windows on my PC. I little while back I posted a message on the "General" part of this Forum hoping somebody in your department could help me out with some Source code. I never got an answer so went down the path to hell instead.

You have a nice example called HIDExample.exe which can be downloaded from SF. What I need is the Source code for that program because I am going crazy with all of the information that is required to get one's head round USB and I am very short of time. I tried the SF plugin and now think I might have got some source code. If you can advise further that would be really hospitable of you.

Kindest regards,
SB

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am

changing Compatibility Mode solved the problem
Just so I know for the future, you set it to 'Windows 7' mode?

And fyi... I'm just a user here, so I don't have access to much more than you do.
I saw your post asking about HIDExample. It was written in Delphi, so it's likely the source wouldn't have been much help.

Sean Banan

Post by Sean Banan » Tue May 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi Jerry,

That's right, I changed it to windows 7 mode and everything worked again fine.

Ok about the other item, HIDExample, I saw that it was written in Delphi so didn't go much further, just hit the brain-overflow button and then Eject.

I got a good example from Xamarin for saving up to a mobile phone via USB so for now I will do it that way then Bluetooth over to the PC later.

Thanks again and best regards,
SB