RF over the air Firmware Update

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

animo3d

RF over the air Firmware Update

Post by animo3d » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 pm

Hello, I'm working on a product that uses a PIC18F25K22 and has RF radio communication via the UART, and I'm tinkering on doing an over the air firmware flash option.

Let me illustrate what I have in mind so far...

the product application is considerable small (around 6K Bytes) and I have 32K available, let say that I reserve 12K for program Area In which will have a function to receive the radio packets of the new firmware and write them on free flash memory, let say starting $3000, after all the packets are received and verified to be fine and complete, the program will jump to a Flash memory Copy routine starting at $7000, that will move the whole block from $3000-$5FFF and put it on $0000-$2FFF, and after doing this will self reset...

I haven't done much yet, did some tests writing and moving Flash memory blocks successfully, but before I get deep into this I would love to hear some opinions, about this approach...

Any input is welcome...

Thanks in advance
Sergio

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Re: RF over the air Firmware Update

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 am

That sounds workable to me.

One suggestion might be to have the first step of the copy routine replace the reset vector @ $0000 with a 'jump $7000'.
That way if anything goes wrong during the copying it'll automatically jump back into the copy routine at reset.
Have the copy routine skip replacing the first 64-byte block @ $0000 until the last step.
There's still a chance that this could screw up and leave things unbootable but the chances are lessened.

Another more foolproof option would be to never reprogram the block at $0000, and treat your copy routine like a bootloader so it always runs at startup.
The copy routine could even have provisions to verify the two blocks and copy/run them as appropriate.

This way you always have a valid program to run, and if you locate the copy routine in low memory instead of the top
you can write-protect it too. The 25K22 has a 2K-byte boot block ($0000-$07FF), so as long as the bootloader fits into that space you're good.

That would leave you with two 15K blocks for your program and the download.

animo3d

Post by animo3d » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm

hi Jerry...

As allways thanks for the prompt comment and excelent input...

Now I feel confident to jump at it and start using the aproach you sugested...

Will let you know how all this works...

Best Regards
Sergio

animo3d

Post by animo3d » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 pm

It works...!

I did the Flash Copy Routine on High Memory, it uses less than 256 Bytes!! so i put it on $07F00
the file receive and verify has to be part of the main program

this allow for almost 16K program flash...

Haven't played yet with reset vector to have a little more strenght, but dont think I need that for this aplication...

the only problem incurred was to wait on the sending computer a few millisecons after each serial block is sent to allow the PIC for erase and write the 64 bytes block.

Regards
Sergio

animo3d

Post by animo3d » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Been working on this for a few days, and is working good so far...

just a quick one... to jump to the Flash Write routine I use the GoTo <Label> command...

where <Label> points to the flashing Routine, on following versions I will not include the Flashing routine (also no label)...

is posible to have somenthing like GoTo <Address> like Goto $7F00?

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Easiest way is just to do a simple asm block. Here's two examples. If you use the second one you must have the number in a format mpasm understands.

Code: Select all

const APP_PROGRAM_ADDR = $7F00   'can use SF formatted number

asm
    goto APP_PROGRAM_ADDR
    goto 0x7F00              ; number must be in mpasm format
end asm

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 am

Any chance of getting some sample code posted for this?

Over the air firmware update is something thats been on my wish list for a long time, but so much other business always gets in the way of me investigating it.

Its nice when we give back to the swordfish community ;)

Jason.