Pic18f26k40

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Gunplumber

Pic18f26k40

Post by Gunplumber » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:03 am

Hi guys

New to the forum and to SF compiler.. I’ve been out of this hobby for about 7-8 years and am now getting back in with a rather ambitious new project.
SF has been a real life line as I was expecting to have to finally bite the bullet and learn C to take advantage of the free compliers available.. To my very pleasant surprise I found SF and have been busy with development of my project..
Many thanks to the developers for their efforts.. 👍

I’ve been using some legacy 18F252’s to develop and test various modules of the project but I’ve come to the conclusion that to bring it all together I’m going to need a MCU with a little more grunt..
One of the key requirements of the project is to monitor and decode two seperate UART data steams.
Fortunately the two streams alternate, one first then the other but packet lengths are very different.. Both also at the same data rate 250kbps..
So I have been looking at MCUs with two seperate UARTS..
I’ve chosen the PIC18f26k40 as it has the two uarts, 64k of program memory, 4kb of ram, 1024 bytes of eeprom and up to 64 MHz internal clock..
My problem is my current PICkit-2 programmer wont program it..
Before I go and spend the money on a new ICSP programmer I wanted to check and see how well this PIC is supported by SF compiler?

Cheers
Lee

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Re: Pic18f26k40

Post by Jerry Messina » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:50 am

Welcome to the forum, Lee. You shouldn't have any issues with SF and the K40, but if you do just let us know and we'll address it.

As far as your pickit2 and programming the K40, before you get a new programmer try the Pickitminus software at http://kair.us/projects/pickitminus/index.html

It's free, and should let you use most newer chips not supported by the old pickit2 software.

Gunplumber

Re: Pic18f26k40

Post by Gunplumber » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:12 pm

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D
Thanks also for the tip on the Pickitminus software.. I've downloaded that and it does indeed work with the PIC18F26K40! You just saved me $140 for a new programmer!

Cheers
Lee