Swordfish compiler

Coding and general discussion relating to the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

bowland76

Swordfish compiler

Post by bowland76 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi can someone answer this query. I have recently downloaded the SE Swordfish compiler. I am having trouble compiling, even with the most simple program. When i click on compile it seems to do the task, however it does not create a hex file, and it does not show i command window during compulation. I have clicked on all the required options. Please help it is driving me crazy. Thanks Bob.

TimB

Post by TimB » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Were are you looking for the HEX file?

bowland76

Post by bowland76 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:51 am

TimB wrote:Were are you looking for the HEX file?
I am doing a complete search of the hard drive. Searching for the file name, and hex extention. Bob.

octal

Post by octal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:25 am

The hex file is always generated in the same location of your program *.bas file. Try to load any sample in samples folder and compile it. Browse the sample folder with Explorer and you'll find there the Hex file.

Now under windows, maybe you have file extension HIDDEN. Go to explorer options and unchek "HIDE FILE EXTENSION For Known files extensions" (or something like that ... I do not own Win English version). You should be able to see all versions of your file (*.bas *.asm and *.hex) in the same folder.

Regards
octal

bowland76

Post by bowland76 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:40 am

octal wrote:The hex file is always generated in the same location of your program *.bas file. Try to load any sample in samples folder and compile it. Browse the sample folder with Explorer and you'll find there the Hex file.

Now under windows, maybe you have file extension HIDDEN. Go to explorer options and unchek "HIDE FILE EXTENSION For Known files extensions" (or something like that ... I do not own Win English version). You should be able to see all versions of your file (*.bas *.asm and *.hex) in the same folder.

Regards
octal
Hi. Octal. Thank you for your previous efforts, but i still have the problem. The only files in the sample folder is .bas files of the program. No other files are in this folder. Bob

octal

Post by octal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 am

Could you launch compilation from the MENU instead of using toolbar buttons and let us know if it compiles ?

regards
octal

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Just a quick question...do you have the latest version of MPLab downloaded? I've seen where old MPLab versions have funny quirks and downloading the latest fixes them.

-Tom

bowland76

Post by bowland76 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 pm

octal wrote:Could you launch compilation from the MENU instead of using toolbar buttons and let us know if it compiles ?

regards
octal
Hi. Octal. Have tried compile from memory & from toolbar. still same problem. I think that the problem exists in the IDE program. I shall try to download the IDE program again, and see if that works. Failing that i shall contact Swordfish direct. Thank you for all your help. Bob.

bowland76

Post by bowland76 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:21 pm

RadioT wrote:Just a quick question...do you have the latest version of MPLab downloaded? I've seen where old MPLab versions have funny quirks and downloading the latest fixes them.

-Tom
Hi Tom. thanks for the info. What has MPLAB got to do with Swordfish compiler, I dont understand.
Bob.

RadioT

Post by RadioT » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Oops, sorry, I thought MPASM was not included with SF. I see that it is. It's other compilers that go through your hard drive and look for it. I had problems with a different compiler when I had an older version of MPASM than it expected.

At any rate, the problems described are very odd. It's almost like the path to MPASM isn't found. Does your SF produce an .asm assembler file?

-Tom

bowland76

Post by bowland76 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:25 pm

RadioT wrote:Oops, sorry, I thought MPASM was not included with SF. I see that it is. It's other compilers that go through your hard drive and look for it. I had problems with a different compiler when I had an older version of MPASM than it expected.

At any rate, the problems described are very odd. It's almost like the path to MPASM isn't found. Does your SF produce an .asm assembler file?

-Tom
Hi Tom. It does not compile any file. It only has the original .bas file in the folder. This problem is driving me crazy. Thanks for your reply. Bob.

xor

Post by xor » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:19 pm

I don't see if you reinstalled SF. Try downloading the current version of the compiler and re-installing it on your system. That should provide a fresh start to help troubleshoot the problem.

You haven't included any information about your OS or PC system, which might be pertinent.

You will note from the comments about compiler issues that your problem is quite unique.... from what I can see. Several users in the forum have commented that they are using the SE version.

tass

Post by tass » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:59 am

hi all,
if you have this problem supose that your OS is vista!, so the solution is to run swordfish as administrator : right clic on swordfish icon and choose "execute as administrator" or something like this (i have the french version)

bowland76

Post by bowland76 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 am

xor wrote:I don't see if you reinstalled SF. Try downloading the current version of the compiler and re-installing it on your system. That should provide a fresh start to help troubleshoot the problem.

You haven't included any information about your OS or PC system, which might be pertinent.

You will note from the comments about compiler issues that your problem is quite unique.... from what I can see. Several users in the forum have commented that they are using the SE version.
Hi xor. I have downloaded twice on current version, and reinstalled 4 times. My system is HP pavilion, running Windows XP. Bob.