I2C Slave Module

General discussion relating to the library modules supplied with the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

Coccoliso

I2C Slave Module

Post by Coccoliso » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Hello,
I'm working on a module I2CSlave (HW mode) that currently works well in read mode ( Master> Slave) while when it relates to writing (Slave > Master) the master fails to receive more than 2 bytes and it seems to hang at the third reading in sequence.
To read Master side I used the module I2C.BAS with this sequence :

I2C.Start
I2C.WriteByte ( SLAVE_ADDR +1) / / Slave in STATE3
I2C.ReadByte PORTB = (1) / / Slave STATE4
I2C.ReadByte PORTB = (1) / / no interrupt generated slave and master halt
PORTB = I2C.ReadByte (1)
PORTB = I2C.ReadByte (0)
I2C.Stop

I would like to know if it is correct to use the wait for the ACK to continue.
Currently Slave side are generated interrupts reception until the STATE4 ( refer to AN734/AN736 MC ) but only up to the reading of the second byte .. there is a special configuration slave side to respond with ACK to the Master ? I could not find anything about it.

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Re: I2C Slave Module

Post by Jerry Messina » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:29 pm

I've had trouble getting the I2C slave code from AN734 to work reliably... it seems there are some "undocumented states" that can appear. I think it might depend on exactly which chip you're using, as there are several MSSP hardware implementations, and I got different results depending on which chip I was using.

Check out the discussion here http://www.microchip.com/forums/m283301.aspx
That thread mentions a PICDEM System Management Kit, which you can download the example C code.

Coccoliso

Post by Coccoliso » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Hello,
is exactly my situation .. no interrupt occurs after the first reading that will allow me any kind of action in ISR routine. Before I used the 18F4685 but now even replacing it with the 18F46K22 I get the same situation.
I have to try with a '18 device that uses the logic of series '16 .. if you can you can tell me a device like that with the internal oscillator, I would save a lot of research .. if you can not thanks anyway!
No Nak.jpg
No Nak.jpg (171.61 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

Jerry Messina
Swordfish Developer

Post by Jerry Messina » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:07 pm

I think you need to get one of the first generation 18F parts to get one that acts like a 16F does... like the PIC18F252