GLCD font generation

General discussion relating to the library modules supplied with the compiler

Moderators: David Barker, Jerry Messina

rocketbob

GLCD font generation

Post by rocketbob » Fri May 04, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm in the process of gathering up parts and reading the datasheets to control a controllerless 240x160 tab graphic display, which I am tentatively planning on interfacing via a S1D13700. One of the things I want to do is come up with my own fixed-width font library. Can anyone recommend a simple Windows font editor that allows simple pixel-level editing?

Regards,
Bob

octal

Re: GLCD font generation

Post by octal » Sat May 05, 2007 1:45 am

rocketbob wrote:...One of the things I want to do is come up with my own fixed-width font library. Can anyone recommend a simple Windows font editor that allows simple pixel-level editing?

Regards,
Bob
Swordfish IDE comes with a tool named Font Converter. you can find it in Swordfish IDE Menu -> PLUGIN>>Swordfish>>FontConverter

This utilitly let you specify any windows font and converts it automatically to Swordfish Basic source code.
To create a FIXED_WIDTH font, just choose a fixed width font to convert, the most used one in all windows source code editors is Courrier New.

Best regards
Octal

rocketbob

Post by rocketbob » Sat May 05, 2007 2:22 am

Sure, I'm aware of the Font Converter utility. I am looking for something to create a new font with, not just convert existing fonts. Different animal!

Regards,
Bob

David Barker
Swordfish Developer

Post by David Barker » Sat May 05, 2007 11:39 am

I've not tried this myself, but it may do what you want

http://www.sibcode.com/font-editor/index.htm

The above looks like it can edit at the pixel level and save as a *.fon file (windows bitmap font). If the file is placed in your windows 'font' folder (c:\windows\fonts under XP) then the font converter plugin should pick it up, allowing you to generate a Swordfish font file.

octal

Post by octal » Mon May 07, 2007 10:15 am

I do not know the format of the gerenated tables that FontConverter plugin generate to be used in Swordfish basic. I do not know if it's possiblen but if David 'can' give me the sources of FontConverter plugin, I'll add interactive drawing directly in the grid.
If it's not possible, then, is there any documentation about the format of generated tables in <fonts>.bas files ? this will let me create a font generator more quickly than to hack and reverse-engeneer the actual files.

Best regards
Octal